In the state of New York, it is necessary to have a permit in order to carry or possess a handgun. The process of applying for a gun permit can be daunting, but we’re here to help. Keep reading to learn more about the steps you need to take in order to obtain a gun permit in New York City.
1. Determine if you are eligible for a gun permit. In order to be eligible, you must be 21 years of age or older, have no or a minimal criminal record (you may not have a felony conviction), and be a resident of or be be employed within New York City. If you meet these criteria, you can move on to the next step.
2. Collect the necessary documentation. You will need to bring a completed application, two passport-style photos, and the appropriate fee to the NYC Licensing Division, along with other documentation to establish identity, residence and employment. You can find the application and fee schedule on the NYC Licensing Division website.
3. Schedule an appointment with the NYC Licensing Division. Appointments are required for all new applicants. You can schedule your appointment online or by calling the NYC Licensing Division at 646-610-6425.
4. Complete an interview and fingerprinting at your appointment. During your interview, a licensing officer will ask you questions about your background and why you are seeking a gun permit. You will also be fingerprinted at this time. You are no longer required to prove a reason to obtain a gun license.
5. Wait for your background check to be completed. Once your fingerprints have been processed, a background check will be conducted by the NYPD’s License Division Background Investigation Unit. This process usually takes at least 6 months, but may take longer if there is any issue with your criminal history or mental health history.
6 .Receive notification from the NYPD’s License Division when your permit is ready to be picked up. You will need to bring photo identification with you when you go to pick up your permit.
7 . Purchase and start carrying your gun! Congratulations, you are now the proud owner of a gun permit in New York City! Be sure to renew your permit every three years and keep it on you whenever you are carrying your gun.
Be aware this is a long and complicated process. This brief summary is not intended to take you through all of the many steps but rather to outline the process. Contact us if you have any specific question.
The process of applying for a gun permit in New York City may seem daunting, but we hope that this blog post has helped simplify things for you. Just remember to determine if you are eligible, collect the necessary documentation, schedule an appointment, complete an interview and fingerprinting, wait for your background check to be completed, receive notification from NYPD’s License Division when your permit is ready, and then start carrying your gun! If you have any further questions about obtaining a gun permit in New York City, please don’t hesitate to contact us today – we’re here to help!